Standard High School rules will be called unless otherwise noted below.
- Games will start sharply at their scheduled time. Please arrive early to ensure you are dressed for play and ready to start on time.
- Games consist of 2 – 25min halves with a 5 minute warm-up, half time will be 1-2min.
- Game time does not stop.
- Teams will be given a small time clock (which must be returned at the end of the season), if they fail to bring on the referee will keep time on his/ her watch.
- There are no time outs
- 4 vs 4 coed
- A min of 1 female will be on the court at all times, a max of 2 male players will be on the court. (typically 2 males and 2 females)
- If a team only has one female they have to play short handed (1 female, 2 males).
- Teams must have 3 players on the court or they will forfeit the game (one has to be female).
- All players must be registered with Niagara Rec Sports and sign a waiver in order to play.
- You may rotate players into the game only when your team has possession of the ball in their own end.For quick reference below are the acceptable male female combinations allowed.
2 males 2 females
2 males 1 female
1 male 3 females
0 males 3 females
0 males 4 females
Short Handed – if the above requirements can not be met
- If teams are short females, the opposing team can agree to let the team play with a male playing for a female player and the game will still count. This must be decided before the game begins. For instance 3 males and 1 female or 4 males 0 females.
- If teams are short females or males, the opposing team can agree to lend the opposing team players and the game will still count. They can also ask to borrow another player from another team in the league (registered for another team with NRS). This must be decided before the game begins or at any time during the game the min/ max player requirements can not be met.
- If one team does not meet the minimum requirements to play and the opposing team does not wish to allow them to play short, sub males for females, or does not wish to lend them players that team will take a 30-0 loss.
- If a forfeit is called the teams can still play a full game (can be mixed teams for instance) but the forfeit score of 30-0 will be the result for the standings.
- All teams must have same colour jerseys fr their players with unique numbers on the back.
- Please check each week to ensure you are not wearing the same colour of the opposing team.
- Each team is to have a set of alternate shirts with them at all times.
- The alternate shirts don’t have to have numbers on them but your regular set does.
- If you are playing a team with the same or similar colour as you make sure you have the alternate shirts as one team must switch.
- If neither team wants to change, the first team listed on the schedule will have to change shirts to an alternate colour.
- If that team does not want to change they will automatically loose the game 0 – 2.
- Shirts must be warn at all times by all players on the field.
- Colours that are close such as Navy Blue and Black the referee may make one team change as they are too similar, this will be the referees decision.
- Every player must register online with Niagara Rec Sports as well as fill out completely, sign and hand in the waiver before playing.
- Only registered players are eligible to play for your team. We make it very easy to add players to your roster right up until mid season when the playoff deadline starts (to avoid ringers).
- Any team that has unregistered players playing for their team will take an automatic loss. If they already lost the current game they will take an automatic loss in their next game. This goes for regular season and playoff games.
- We will be around at the games and can/ will ask to verify your position on the team with some sort of identification. If you can not identify yourself you will not be permitted to play in the game. Any non registered players playing will result in a forfeit of that game. It is not something we enjoy doing or want to do so please have only registered players playing for your team.
- If teams are short they can borrow players from another team ONLY if the opposing team captain agrees to it BEFORE the game begins. Borrowed players must be registered with another team in the NRS league. Outside players are not allowed and must fully register with the team before playing
- Each basket will count for 2 points regardless of where it came from (except for foul free throws, see below).
- Foul free throws will count for one point each basket.
- Score and fouls will be kept by a player sitting off. When that player enters the game another player must take his/ her place.
- Only one score sheet will be used for the game it will be at center court.
- A score keeper from each team will be keeping score to ensure the score is correct. This eliminates any potential discrepancies in the scores or fouls.
- Score sheets can be downloaded here.
- Regular season games can end in a tie
- If tied at the end of regulation time in a playoff game a short 2 min overtime will be played. If still tied 2nd overtime will be sudden death, the first basket wins the game, including a foul shot.
- Matching team shirts with unique numbers on the back are mandatory. recommended, if your team does not have team shirts they can be purchased through Niagara Rec Sports for 9.00/ shirt.
- Good quality court shoes must be warn.
- Please wear shoes with non marking soles only. If you are wearing shoes that leave marks on the floor you will be asked to take them off and wear non marking sole shoes. If you do not have shoes with non marking soles you will not be permitted on the court.
- Referees will call fouls, after which the player who revived the foul will take 1 or 2 foul shots depending on the situation.
- The final foul shots can be rebounded.
- After 5 personal fouls the player will have “Fouled Out” of the game and can not play the remainder of the game.
- Teams will be allowed 10 Team Fouls per half, after which the opposing team is awarded 1 free throw.
- Technical fouls will be called on anyone continuously questioning the referees call and/ or talking in a negative way towards another player
- 2 technical fouls will result in a player ejection.
- Substitutions are done on the fly under the conditions below.
- Both subbing players (the player entering the court and the player subbing off) must be within arms reach of each other before the subbing player may enter the court and at the center line of the court.
- Teams may substitute players only when they have possession of the ball unopposed in their own end, or once they cross into the opposing teams half.
- Substitutions must be made such that it does not give the substituting team any advantage offensively or defensively.
- Players leaving and entering the court must do so at the half line of the court.
Over and Back
- There will be no over and back called, teams can cross the half line at any time with the ball.
- There are no jump balls, if a jump ball is needed the defensive team will automatically receive the ball.
- Teams are required to bring their own game ball with them to play with.
- Teams can rent a game ball form NRS for $50.00 which will be refunded at the end of the season if the ball is returned undamaged.
Overall Standings Tie Breakers
- If there is a in the standings based on points the following will be used as a tie breaker.
- Total Most Points (standings 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie)
- Plus minus
- Points for
- Points against
- Head to Head (if applicable)
- If everything is equal a coin toss
School board rules – Children
The school board has a no children policy that states children are not permitted to be at the gym at any time before, during or after the games are being played. Please respect this rule and teams in violation risk forfeiting their game.
Team captains are responsible for bringing a first aid kit to each game.
Forfeit Fine – Less than 24hrs notice
All teams must give min 24hrs notice if they are not able to field a team or they will be charged a $50.00 late notice forfeit fee. The team will not receive any league points in the standings until the $50.00 fee is paid. Points not received during this time will not be reinstated.
If a team fails to pay the $50.00 fine within a week the league can look for another team to take their place.
This is to ensure we are able to give opposing teams and referees enough notice that your team will not be able to make it to the game. No one likes going to a game only to find out the other team did not bother to show up.
This normally is not an issue as most teams respect each other enough to give proper notice, this fee is for those that don’t.
We are very lenient with this policy and as long as you have a few people show up and can form a team with other players playing before your game at the diamond, field and/ or court so the opposing team has a game to play your team will not be fined.
At the end of the season any money collected from the forfeit fine will be donated to a local charity such as project share.
- If a team forfeit’s 3 times during the season they risk removal from the league.
- If a team does not pay the fine within a week they risk removal from the league.
- No points will be awarded to to the team in the standings until the fine has been paid.
- A one week grace period may be implemented for teams to pay the fine.
Code of conduct
- Understand, appreciate and abide by the rules of the game.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials and NRS staff.
- Respect your opponent and congratulate them in a courteous manner following each match whether in victory or defeat.
- Be responsible for your actions and maintain self-control.
Refrain from using foul or abusive language.
- Have fun!
There is a zero tolerance for violence and aggression physical or verbal. It will be up to the referee to make the call and give the consequences for the game night (ejection from the game). It will be up to the referee and Niagara Rec Sports as to consequences given after the game regarding suspension from farther games or potentially the entire league for the remainder of the season.
Niagara Rec Sports reserves the right to remove or disallow any player from the league at any time throughout the year. No refunds will be given if/ when players are removed from the league.
Niagara Rec Sports reserves the right to add, alter, remove rules either verbally or on any rules page at any time as we deem fit, any rule changes will be effective immediately. Rules discussed at the team captains meeting are to be considered part of the league rules.
For other league rules visit this page.
Don’t forget to have fun!!