Niagara Rec Sports Softball Rules
(COVID Rules supersede other general rules)
TEAM AND PLAYER REQUIREMENTS
ROSTER SIZES & SPECIFIC TEAM NUMBERS
- Each League will be broken out into divisions.
- A maximum of 50 participants will be allowed in each division.
- Teams may borrow players from their own group ONLY if they are short and the opposing team captain agrees to it before the game begins.
- Players are NOT permitted to play for other teams outside their group on that evening of play.
- Each Sport will have specific mandatory roster requirements, for example:
- Softball (a maximum of 12 players per team, 4 teams in each division, totaling 48 participants).
- Soccer 9’s (a maximum of 12 players per team, 4 teams in each division, totaling 48 participants).
- Beach Volleyball (a maximum of 8 players per team, Max 6 teams in each division, totaling 48 participants).
- Ultimate Frisbee (a maximum of 8 players per team, max 6 teams in each division, totaling 48 participants).
- Bring and use your own antibacterial hand sanitizer.
- If you feel sick after arriving, please remove yourself from the game and review the Covid Screening Tool..
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Game day wellness checks “COVID Screening Tool ” must be completed at home by all players prior to participation.
- There will be no physical touching such as handshaking, high fives, fist/elbow bumps or huddles.
- Only registered players are allowed on or near the player’s bench. Family members and coaches need to stay on the spectators side and maintain 6 feet of distance.
- The batting team will give the pitcher a ball to be used while they are at bat. Teams can mark their ball if they like. This way handling of the ball is minimized between the teams and teams are hitting the ball they brought to the game.
- Tagging will be allowed but ONLY if the ball is inside the fielders glove.
- Once a force out has been made, fielders should step away from the base to ensure physical distancing between themselves and the base runner.
Please select either Coed or Men’s to get the rules for the appropriate league below.
- We will be using SPO Hot Dot Classic Plus balls (SPO12HDSY) for all of our leagues.
- Each team will be given 2 balls at the start of the season, teams are to supply their own if more balls are needed.
- At the beginning of the game each team will give the umpire 1 ball to use during the game. The umpire will return the ball at the end of the game. The team listed first on the schedule will have to provide a new (or reasonably new) ball. The team listed 2nd on the schedule will provide a used but in good shape ball.
- All bats must be USSSA certified and have the USSSA 1.20 BPF thumbprint on the taper of the bat. If you are buying a new bat make sure it has the USSSA 1.20 BPF thumbprint
- We also allow the older bats with the ASA 2004 stamp.
- Any other bats will not be permitted.
- If a player steps into the batters box with an illegal bat the opposing team must notify the umpire at that time. The umpire will inspect the bat and if ti is deemed illegal the batter will receive an out. Repeat offenders will be ejected from the game and receive further suspensions.
Illegal bat List
Below are a few examples of bats deemed Illegal in North America
- Miken Ultra (Grey)
- Miken Ultra II (Black)
- Easton Synergy (Black / grey)
- Easton synergy II (Black/ Grey)