NIAGARA REC SPORTS BEACH VOLLEYBALL RULES & REGULATIONS
The first game will start with a coin toss by the Court Official. Winner chooses from Serve, Receive or Side. Serve and side then alternates between teams for each game thereafter.
Although this is a beach league, as there are 6 players on the court, VC Indoor Volleyball rules shall apply with some exceptions.
- We play for 1hr.
- Time begins right at your scheduled game time regardless if the teams are on the court ready to play or not.
- This includes a 5min warm-up and 55min game time.
- We play as many games as we can get in within the allotted time.
- If time expires before the final game is complete there must be a total of 10 combined points for that game to count.
- 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie
- 6 vs 6 coed
- A min of 1 female will be on the court at all times,
- A max of 4 male players will be on the court.
- If a team only has one female they have to play short handed (1 female, 4 males).
- Teams must have 4 players on the court or they will forfeit the match one of whom must be a female.
- All players at the court must play. Teams can not play with less than 6 if they have 4 males and 2 females.
- All players must be registered with Niagara Rec Sports in order to play.
- If teams are short they can borrow players from another team ONLY if the opposing team captain agrees to it BEFORE the game begins. Borrowed players must be registered with another team in the NRS league. Outside players are not allowed and must fully register with the team before playing
- If a team for any reason is not able to start or complete a match they shall forfeit. The opposing team will take their current score, or a 3-0 win (which ever is higher).
- Server must serve from behind the restraining line (end line) until after contact.
- Ball may be served underhand or overhand.
- Ball must be clearly visible to opponents before serve.
- Served ball may graze the net and drop to the other side for point.
- Front row players can not attack the ball until the ball has dropped below the top of the net.
- Blocking a serve is not permitted. Blocking of a serve is defined as contacting the ball near the net on service reception when part of the players body has extended above the height of the net.
- Serves are capped at 5 consecutive per player. After the fifth serve, rotate to the next server. Serving order must be followed.
- Unlike standard Beach rules, a block will NOT count as a touch. If you block a hit and the ball remains on your side, you still have 3 more touches to get the ball over.
- Back row players may not participate in Blocks
- Attack On a serve, it is NOT permitted to return (attack) the serve to the serving teams court on serve reception (first contact) when the ball was completely above the net height on attack contact.
- You may play the ball off any part of the body.
- You may not attack a ball in the opponent’s space.
- Unlike standard beach rules, open hand attacks/tipping shall be permitted.
- A back row player must be behind the player directly in front of him/her in order to execute an attack.
- Players are not to make contact with the net. Slight touches by the hair, nets pushed into a player by the ball or nets blow into players by wind are not infractions.
- There is no centre line rule in beach volleyball, therefore, crossing under the net into the opponents space is not an infraction unless it causes interference (such as, but not limited to contact with an opposing player).
Time outs: There are no timeouts.
- Games are to 21 (win by 2 no cap)
- The team that wins the most games wins the Match.
- Rally scoring will be used.
- There will be a point scored on every score of the ball.
- Offence will score on a defence miss or out of bounds hit.
- Defence will score on an offensive miss, out of bounds hit, or serve into the net.
- Must win by 2 points.
- A min of 10 total points must be scored for the game to be official. At the final minute of game time the referee will let the teams know that the next serve is the last point to be played.
- Play as many games as possible within the time limit.
- One minute break between games. If a game is tied at the end of the time limit, one more rally shall be played to determine the winner.
- Team will rotate each time they win the serve.
- Players shall rotate in a clockwise manner.
- Officials shall call the lines to the best of their ability but may require the honest assistance of players as view of ball contact is often blocked when there are 6 players on the court.
- Officials have sole discretion as to whether they conduct a Ball Mark Protocol.
- Team Captains may respectfully request an explanation of an Official’s call but shall not delay the match in so doing.
- Maximum of three hits per side.
- Player may not hit the ball twice in succession (A block is not considered a hit).
- Ball may be played off the net during a volley and on serve.
- A ball touching a boundary line is good.
- A legal hit is contact with the ball by a player body which does not allow the ball to visibly come to a rest.
- The ball may touch any part of the body.
- IF two or more people contact the ball at the same time, it counts for a hit each, unless it’s a block, which can be a combination block considered as one contact, which is not considered one of the three “hits” on each side
- We play rain or shine.
- If there is lightening at the courts the referee will call the game at the courts at that time.
- If there is lightening teams can wait 10min to see if it passes, if not the game will be called.
- If 35min or more has been or 3 matches played the game will count as a full game.
- If less than 35min has been played the game will be made up at a later date.
CODE OF CONDUCT
- Understand, appreciate and abide by the rules of the game.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials and NRS staff.
- The referee has final say in all calls.
- Respect your opponent and congratulate them in a courteous manner following each match whether in victory or defeat.
- Be responsible for your actions and maintain self-control.
- Refrain from using foul or abusive language.
- Have fun!